Saturday 15 June 2013

Jumping Puddles and Booktown events

HELEN AND I HEADLINERS AT JUMPING PUDDLES CHILDREN'S LITERATURE FESTIVAL
                                                                                                                             
 
Here's Helen bringing out the inner artist in children of the Corangamite Shire at the Jumping Puddles two day event at Noorat - the birthplace of Alan Marshall.  I hope this brings back memories of his book "I Can Jump Puddles," I read it as a child and again before heading to the area.  Using the title as a prompt for rhymes it was a simple step for over 600 students to compose rhymes, perform and rap them in front of fellow students and even skip rope while rhyming - who says children can't multi-task?
 
 
The following weekend my excellent roadie Brian, and l were at Clunes for the Book-town weekend as guest author for We're All About Books in Fraser Street Clunes.  The above photo was taken near my book signing table - the theme for children at the library was Alice In Wonderland - and the Mad Hatter proved to be a terrific minstrel and pied piper of his Deck of Cards.
To the excitement of Pamela we sold 100 of our books at her shop.  We have an invitation to again do book-signings next year.  Thankyou Pamela - happy to accept.
 
Clunes is the town my Dutch grandparents settled in after migrating in the 1950's from Holland.  It was a great town to introduce their family to Australian ways.  As a result my uncles and aunts are more Aussie than the average local.  Going back to the town was quite nostalgic for me and flushed out locals who knew my family well and were happy to pass on stories.  I enjoyed holidays in Clunes with my grandparents and will be writing a short story about visiting Clunes for my latest book.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment